How I Learned to Stop Spamming and Love the E-Mail Signature

Spam figure

A translation agency recently asked for a cost estimate. I happily obliged and shot them back an e-mail with a quote. And waited. And waited.

After an hour had gone by, I was a bit perplexed that they hadn't written back yet.

On a hunch, I decided to run a thoroughly unscientific experiment: I resent the quote, but this time deleted the email's closing signature, which had read:

Best regards | С уважением,

Péter.
V V V V V
Peter Charles Gleason, Jr.
(Петро Оринич-Ґлісон)
*** to contact me ***
skype: pgleasonjr
mobile: +1 405 872 6758 (leave a voicemail)
e-mail: pgleasonjr@gmail.com
web: www.peter-gleason.us
snail mail: 1730 N Lynn St #A-70, Arlington VA 22209, USA
*** to connect with me ***
like me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/P%C3%A9ters-Translations-Language-Lessons/103008789748939
sign up for email updates: http://eepurl.com/yXAW5
comment on my blog: www.pgleasonjr.blogspot.com
recommend me on linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/pgleasonjr
follow me on google+: https://plus.google.com/103110083887175837141/about
leave me a WWA on proz: www.proz.com/translator/789703
***tip jar ;-)
http://pgleasonjr.blogspot.com/p/tip-jar.html

Although my e-mail with the above signature was seemingly lost in cyberspace, my client immediately replied to the same e-mail sent without it. My initial reply had been marked as spam. Strike one.

A few days later, another client of mine was uncharacteristically late with a reply to my quote. He apologized, explaining that he had just found my e-mail in his spam (junk mail) folder. Strike two.

Determined not to strike out, I stopped appending my rather-long signature to future e-mails and opted for a much shorter one:

All the best | Всего доброго,

Péter Charles Gleason Jr
Петро Оринич-Ґлісон
V V V V V
skype pgleasonjr
web http://www.peter-gleason.us
email pgleasonjr@gmail.com (primary) info@peter-gleason.us (backup)
tel +1 405 872 6758
post 1730 N Lynn St #A70, Arlington VA 22209, USA

Nobody's found my messages in their spam box since then. Coincidence?

How about you? Have you ever been deemed a spammer? What do you do about it?

Comments